This new DB Gringo kit is derived from the original 80's model but has been changed in many different ways, not least to remove all foam from the build process. Four channel Radio Control.
The Rear deck is now 0.4mm ply curved around formers (previously veneered foam) and the wing is completely built up, fully sheeted (supplied) and with a new, improved aileron design.
Fully redrawn plan and rewritten instructions which include many build photos with more available on line.
The prototype has been successfully (and enjoyably) flying for quite some time now and is highly recommended by all who have had a go.
This is a straightforward build although do have a quick scan through the downloadable instructions if you are not a relatively experienced builder (generally means having already built one or two models previously). The wing is fully sheeted and jigs are supplied in order to get the geometry correct.
OLD VERSION INFO, there was an even earlier "DB Gringo" which was a completely different style. Why this one appeared with the same name is a bit of a mystery unlikely to be solved now.
Wheels are now included with the INCLUDED Hardware pack
- 2.5 inch Spinner
- Engine Mount
- Wing span is approximately 60", just over 1.5MT.
- CG is 100mm from LE
- Extremely sturdy, aerobatic model.
- Around a 52 to 65 four stroke.
- Flies very nicely on an OS52
- Flies even better on a Saito 62
- Weight, ready to fly minus fuel is 2.69kg (Saito is 420g)
- 0.95kg is the wing and 1.74 fuselage (This is my Prototype so wasn't built lightly)
- Width of hatch/Fuel Bay 55 to 60mm
- Height 60mm
- Length - long (open internal)
- The first is of my Prototype covered in a mixture of Oracover and Solarfilm offcuts. Turned out quite well if I do say so myself :)
- Second and third are of the old Foam winged Gringo, there are a few differences to the new kit. The third one shown was owned by Ken Knox who is now building it's replacement from the new (test version) kit.
The, included, detailed instructions include photos of the prototype build.
DB Gringo Instructions
DB Gringo Extra Photos (in no particular order)
Even more Photos on Dropbox